Types of Malware:
First, What exactly is “Malware”
Malware is any piece of software that was written with the intent of doing harm to PC/Data.
Most common types of malware found:
- Ransomware – Most common type of infection found nowadays, very dangerous and can cause major downtime for your home or office. If you see a screen that warns you that you have been locked out of your computer until you pay for your cyber crimes your system is badly infected with a Malware called “Ransomware” The malware usually requests that you pay 100s or 1000s of dollars to unlock your files within a certain time frame. Very important to have a backup in place if you were to get hit by this. The virus itself can be removed but your files will remain encrypted.
- Trojan – Malware infection with a main purpose of trying to steal your personal/Financial information stored on your PC (Banking info, Passwords, etc). You can usually tell when you are infected with this type of malware by computer slowness,computer crashes.
- Rootkit – One of the hardest malware infections to detect. Malware that enters your system and usually avoids most anti virus programs. Rootkits have two main functions- remote control (back door-undetected) and spying on the end user (stealing information, data etc) Certain software can detect this sort of malware but you are best to backup your files & reload your system.
- Spyware – Medium risk malware .Spyware is software that spies on you, tracking your internet activities without your permission gathers information, and report this information about you and your online activities to a third party. Spyware can be detected with most Anti virus software. You will notice slow speeds, popups, change of browser home page.
- Adware -The least dangerous type of Malware. Adware displays ads/pop-ups on your computer.More of anannoyance and will cause your computer perform to slack. Can be removed with ease most of the time.
- Fake security software – Very misleading for standard users. It pretends to be a good program to remove Malware infections, but actually is malware itself. Sometimes it will actually turn off the real Anti-Virus software. This can be detected by a program you do not recognize popping up on your screen randomly and doing bogus scans, etc. You will notice your computer performance really lacking. This type of malware can be removed.
- Bitcoin Miner – One of newest types of malware infections out as of 2017. This infection is very dangerous and usually affects Servers (2008/2012) that have a lot of power.This malware uses the server to mine Bitcoin and can cause major headache for you business trying to remove. Signs that your server might be infected with this, Very sluggish (Tons of resources being used in the background and even blue screening the machine as well randomly. If you think you are infected with this please contact me and I will assist with manually removal.